Sonntag, 13. September 2009

Jonas alone at home

Hey over there,
two interesting weeks full of experiences have passed since my arrival here in Melbourne. One of the first shocking experiences was the fact that you can even freeze in Australia. The weather is really horrible and one storm swaps with an other bigger one even if spring is going to take over. The second, more comfortable, thing I've recognized; Australia is even green and hilly. The suburb where I'm staying, called Eltham, looks like a small version of Tolkien's shire (in german called: Auenland ,-) ). The next thing were the uniforms which pupils usually have to wear in Australia. Of course I knew that, before but sitting in a schoolbus with 50 pupils dressed in the same green uniform and me in the middle without was a funny thing. Even if the uniforms unite the children of one college, you can see at the first view whether the parents are prosperous or not. The average school fee is about 15 000 Dollar for one child a year and Janice ( my host-mom) told me, that usually one parent is just working to pay the kids' school. There is one more thing I have to tell you about: The traffic. Have you ever driven a car left-hand through a roundabout (Verkehrskreisel) ? I've started driving yesterday, and I have to confess although we had about 16degree outside I sweated a lot ! You're driving on the left side, you're sitting in the car on the right side, you have to shift with the left hand but nevertheless you have to obey "right-before-left" ...that's crazy. I used my first drive to go shopping at Coles ( chicken, rice and all what you need) and to discover my workplace for tomorrow, later more about that, so imagine, I'm driving a red family-van, struggling with the gears and reading my street map when I'm looking in the mirror and see a nice white police car behind me. That's luck. I'm sure they had their fun, seeing me desperate behind the wheel, but I wasn't that amused recognizing the flash-light on the roof of the police-car ..but ..fortunately, they didn't mean me and left me alone! I was really happy finding my workplace for tomorrow after these happenings. It's a big ranch where I'm going to do some gardening. I'm excited whether the job is as hard as the job at the work site in Sydney. At the moment I'm alone with the dog and the house because they're all in the USA, visiting daddy. That's the reason why I've had so much time to write such a long entry ;-)
thanks for reading.
Some more pictures are online once again. Check it out ->http://www.flickr.com/photos/41053376@N05/

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen